(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,790,248 B2
Tomioka et al. (45) Date of Patent: Sep. 7,2010
(54) ACTIVE MATRIX TYPE LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY APPARATUS
(75) Inventors: Yasushi Tomioka, Hitachi (JP); Takao Miwa, Hitachinaka (JP); Katsumi Kondo, Hitachinaka (JP); Hisao Yokokura, Hitachi (JP)
(73) Assignee: Hitachi, Ltd., Tokyo (JP)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/708,462
(22) Filed: Feb. 21, 2007
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2007/0178250 Al Aug. 2, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 10/732,279, filed on Dec. 11, 2003, now Pat. No. 7,189,439, which is a division of application No. 09/071,879, filed on May 4, 1998, now Pat. No. 6,682,783.
An active matrix type liquid crystal display apparatus has a pair of substrates, at least one of the substrates being transparent; a liquid crystal layer arranged between the pair of substrates; and electrode structure for generating an electric field having a dominant component parallel to a surface of the substrate and passing through the liquid crystal layer, the electrode structure being formed on one of the pair of substrates; a pair of alignment layers formed on respective surfaces in contact with the liquid crystal layer of the pair of substrates; and a pair of polarizing plates arranged so as to sandwich the pair of substrates, wherein the glass transition temperature Tg of a boundary surface between said liquid crystal layer and the alignment layer is higher than the nematic-isotropic phase transition temperature T(N-I) of a liquid crystal composite forming the liquid crystal layer.
11 Claims, 4 Drawing Sheets