(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Kunjan et al.
(54) CONTINUOUS WHOLE BLOOD GLUCOSE MONITOR
(76) Inventors: Kislaya Kunjan, Indianapolis, IN (US); Frank Perry Lloyd,
Indianapolis, IN (US)
115 Saddle Blanket Trial
Buda, TX 78610 (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 11/982,565
(22) Filed: Nov. 2, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/856,456, filed on Nov. 2, 2006.
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 5/00 (2006.01)
A61B 5/15 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 600/316; 600/310; 600/581; 604/6.04;
A portable continuous whole blood glucose monitor comprising, a mid-infrared quantum cascade laser and driver in optical communication with a transmission cell and a photoconductive detector and pre-amplifier. The monitor further comprises a peristaltic pump connected to a single lumen catheter peripherally inserted into a patient's vein. The single lumen catheter, in combination with the peristaltic pump, is operable to automatically withdraw a fixed and metered amount of whole blood from a patient, then a tube delivers a fixed and metered amount of the saline/surfactant supply to the whole blood. Methods of enhancing measurement sensitivity are also provided.