(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
(54) SEMICONDUCTOR LIGHT EMITTING
DEVICE AND METHOD FOR FABRICATING
(75) Inventor: Tetsuzo UEDA, Osaka (JP)
GREENBLUM & BERNSTEIN, P.L.C.
1950 ROLAND CLARKE PLACE
RESTON, VA 20191 (US)
(73) Assignee: PANASONIC CORPORATION,
(21) Appl.No.: 12/490,200
(22) Filed: Jun. 23, 2009
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 11/060,425, filed on Feb. 18, 2005, now Pat. No. 7,569,863.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Feb. 19, 2004 (JP) 2004-042329
Feb. 19, 2004 (JP) 2004-042330
(51) Int. CI.
H01L 33/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 257/98; 257/E33.061
A semiconductor light emitting device is composed of a blue light emitting diode, a red light emitting layer grown epitaxially on the blue light emitting diode, and an insulating material containing a YAG fluorescent material. The red light emitting layer is made of, e.g., undoped In0 4Ga0 6N having a forbidden band width of 1.9 eV and formed on a p-type semiconductor layer to have a configuration consisting of a plurality of mutually spaced-apart islands.