(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,819,127 Bi
Hembree (45) Date of Patent: Nov. 16,2004
(54) METHOD FOR TESTING SEMICONDUCTOR COMPONENTS USING INTERPOSER
(75) Inventor: David R. Hembree, Boise, ID (US)
(73) Assignee: Micron Technology, Inc., Boise, ID (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 94 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/123,393
(22) Filed: Apr. 16, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 09/678,220, filed on Oct. 2, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,400,169, which is a division of application No. 09/253,632, filed on Feb. 19,1999, now Pat. No. 6,242,932.
(51) Int. CI.7 G01R 31/28
(52) U.S. CI 324/755; 324/765
(58) Field of Search 324/754-755,
324/765, 761-762; 439/62-91
A method for testing a semiconductor component having contact balls includes the step ol providing a test socket having contacts in electrical communication with a test circuitry. The method also includes the step ol providing an interposer on the test socket having interconnect contacts configured to electrically engage the contact balls. In addition, the method includes the steps ol aligning and forming electrical connections between the interconnect contacts and the contact balls on the component using the interposer, and then applying test signals through the test socket and interposer to the component. The test method can also include the step ol replacing the interposer with a second interposer configured for testing a second component, and then testing the second component by applying test signals through the test socket and the second interposer.
16 Claims, 7 Drawing Sheets