(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Whitehead et al.
(io) Pub. No.: US 2007/0268211 Al (43) Pub. Date: Nov. 22, 2007
(54) HDR DISPLAYS WITH
(75) Inventors: Lome A. Whitehead, Vancouver (CA);
Helge Seetzen, Montreal (CA); Don
Graham, Vancouver (CA); Greg Ward,
Albany, CA (US); Wolfgang
Stuerzlinger, Toronto (CA)
KLARQUIST SPARKMAN, LLP
121 SW SALMON STREET
PORTLAND, OR 97204 (US)
(73) Assignee: Dolby Canada Coporation
(21) Appl. No.: 11/831,851
(22) Filed: Jul. 31, 2007
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/507,460, filed on Sep. 10, 2004, filed as 371 of international application No. PCT/CA03/00350, filed on Mar. 13, 2003.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/363,563, filed on Mar. 13, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.
G09G 3/20 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 345/55
A display has a screen which incorporates a light modulator. The screen may be a front projection screen or a rearprojection screen. The screen is illuminated with light from a light source comprising an array of controllable lightemitters. The controllable-emitters and elements of the light modulator may be controlled to adjust the intensity of light emanating from corresponding areas on the screen. The display may provide a high dynamic range.