(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0020043 Al
Ueno et al. (43) Pub. Date: Feb. 5,2004
(54) APPARATUS AND METHOD FOR MOUNTING COMPONENT
(76) Inventors: Yasuharu Ueno, Osaka-shi (JP); Shozo
Minamitani, Ibaraki-shi (JP); Shinji
Kanayama, Kashihara-shi (JP); Satoshi
Shida, Hirakata-shi (JP); Shunji
Onobori, Kyoto (JP)
WENDEROTH, LIND & PONACK, L.L.P.
2033 K STREET N. W.
WASHINGTON, DC 20006-1021 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/239,060
(22) PCT Filed: Mar. 23, 2001 (86) PCT No.: PCT/JP01/02308
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Mar. 23, 2000 (JP) 2000-82263
(51) Int. CI.7 H05K 3 30
(52) U.S. CI 29/832
A component mounting system includes first to third (pickup, transfer, and placement) stations. A component supplied at the component supply is picked up by a transport head at the pickup station and then transferred to a placement head at the transfer station. The placement head carries the component to the placement station where the component is placed and mounted on a substrate such as circuit board. The component held by the placement head is recognized by an imaging device at or in the vicinity of the transfer station.