(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0110052 Al
Srinivas (43) Pub. Date: Jun. 10,2004
(76) Inventor: Bollepalli Srinivas, Marietta, GA (US)
NEEDLE & ROSENBERG, PC.
999 PEACHTREE STREET
ATLANTA, GA 30309-3915 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/445,090
(22) Filed: May 23, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/382,666, filed on May 23, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.7 H01M 8/10; H01M 4/86;
(52) U.S. CI 429/33; 429/42; 252/62.2;
A composition comprising particulate carbonaceous material and a conducting polymer containing hetero atoms. The composition can further comprise a metal. Devices comprising the composition can be constructed including supported electrocatalysts, membrane electrode assemblies, and fuel cells. A method for preparing the composition comprises oxidatively polymerizing a monomer of a conducting polymer containing hetero atoms in the presence of a carbonaceous material. The method grafts the conducting polymer to the carbonaceous material. The method can further comprise metallizing the polymer-grafted carbonaceous material.